WEST COLUMBIA, SC -- Registration opens in January for Lexington Two early childhood education programs for rising 4K, 5K and first grade students.
Starting January 17, parents/guardians will have two ways to register:
-- In person, from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. weekdays at the Lexington Two school your child would normally attend.
Early registration is key. Parents who register early will be the first notified. Early registration also helps the district ensure proper teacher-student staffing ratios for classrooms.
Parents/guardians must have these documents to register, whether online or in person:
-- Child’s birth certificate (long form required)
-- Child’s immunization certificate
-- Two proofs of residence (one utility bill and a rental lease/mortgage)
-- Proof of income for full-day 4K only (acceptable forms of proof: child’s Medicaid card, parent/guardian’s pay stub or income tax information).
Early childhood education classes for 4K, 5K and first grade students will start in August 2018. All classes are full-day and follow the district calendar.
Early childhood education is key for a strong student foundation of learning. Students who attend a pre-k program score higher on reading and math tests than children receiving parental care alone, according to a study cited on the Center for Public Education website.
# # #
REGISTERING FOR THE 4K PROGRAM? FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
- Your child must be 4 on or before September 1, 2018.
- Families must live in the Lexington School District Two attendance area.
- Family income must meet federal Free & Reduced Lunch guidelines for full-day 4K programs only. Regardless of income, early registration is encouraged.
- Your child will participate in a school readiness assessment in early spring. All required documents must be turned in before the school readiness assessment.
- The school readiness assessment typically lasts 45 minutes (including small breaks for the child). Your child will be administered the Developmental Indicators for the Assessment of Learning Fourth Edition.
# # #
2018 DATES TO REMEMBER
January 17 – Registration begins
March 1 – Send screening appointment letters to parents
March dates to be determined- Screening for Riverbank Elementary School and Saluda River Academy for the Arts; screening for Cayce Elementary School and Springdale Elementary School; screening for Congaree Wood Early Childhood Center.
March 30 – First round of parent notification letters will be mailed.
April 20 – Parents/guardians must return acceptance notices for children to their designated school to attend Lexington Two’s 4K program.
June date to be determined – District-wide screening for students who registered after the March screening. Location to be announced.
June date to be determined – Second round of parent notification letters to be mailed out for students screened after March.June date to be determined –Parents/Guardians must return notice to their designated school accepting the opportunity to attend Lexington Two’s 4K program.